Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Meeting Eric Goldberg!!!



I'm baaaaaaack! Well, on a previous post (Quiet Satisfaction-see september 2008) I had mentioned going on vacation to California and having a blast. I said I would tell you about that later and...its later! Although this all happened back in July this year, I figured I better tell you before 2008 is over. Well, the entire trip was SO AMAZING my wife and I had a great time! What does this have to do with art and animation? Well, part of the reason we went to California was for some art/animation related stuff: the SAN DIEGO COMIC CON! It was so inspiring and encouraging to meet all kinds of artists and animators that I look up to! For me, the highest point of the con was meeting one of my animation heroes! You know, the animators who's work you admire and look up to! Eric Goldberg is one of them! If you don't know who he is (shame on you!) He was the supervising animator of the Genie in Disney's Aladdin, the supervising animator of Phil in Disney's Hercules, and whole lotta other things. Check him out in the IMDB. He's currently working as supervising animator of Louis in Disney's newest HAND DRAWN feature animated film The Princess and the Frog! That's right baby, HAND DRAWN ANIMATION IS COMING BACK!!! He recently put out an animation book called: CHARACTER ANIMATION CRASH COURSE! If you don't have a copy and your serious about learning animation or want to add to your animation knowledge GET THIS BOOK NOW!!! Its worth every penny! Plus it includes a CD full of animation clips from the book - so you can see what he's talking about. I had a chance to meet him at the Comic Con while he was doing a book signing. Eric was so down to earth and very funny! It was so encouraging & inspiring to chat with him about animation! I remember the first time I saw Aladdin in the theater, I was 11 or 12 and I was BLOWN AWAY by what I saw! The mood and atmosphere of that movie just sucked you into the story, then suddenly I saw the Genie come to life on screen (and this is the guy who brought the Genie to life)! Then the intense roller coaster magic carpet race through the cave of wonders! I was hooked on animation! Man, the animation fire in me is stoked & flaming! I can't wait to do more hand drawn animation!!! I LOVE THIS STUFF! There's more to tell about the trip, I'll be back with the rest later...

No comments: