Thursday, June 25, 2009

HULK Color part 1

Hey guys and gals!  So, lets continue with our mini-tutorial/process:  After I've inked my drawing (which could also be done digitally) I scan him into Photoshop at 300 dpi/resolution for the purpose of having a quality image in case I'd like to print it.  However, if you plan on publishing your art I'd recommend that you scan in your art at least 600 dpi/resolution!  Moving on...once in photoshop I seperate the line art from the white background; this can be done in a number of ways, but what I use mostly is the wand tool.  Select the white background, then go to your Select menu and choose Similar, then choose Inverse.  This will have only your black line art selected now.  Next, hit Command + Shift + J (or if you're on a PC its, Control + Shift + J) - now your line art is on a separate layer above the white background.  You may have some line art or a kind of gray "ghost" image left behind on the white BG...simply select all on your white BG layer and delete; so that you have pure white.  Next, create a new layer in between your Line art layer and your white BG layer; this will be your COLOR layer.  You'll use this layer to lay your flat colors.  One reason I do NOT put colors on the same layer as the line art is to maintain the integrity/quality of the lines.  Another reason is so that I can colorize the line art if needed much easier when on a separate layer; and on a printing note - If your colors are on the same layer as your line art, then they only go to the inner edge of your line as opposed to actually being halfway UNDER the line on a layer below.  The reason for this is when your art gets sent of to the printers (most printers use CMYK color process; different color plates) So if for some reason those plates were to shift ever so slightly in any direction (which does happen from time to time) there will be a ugly looking white or whatever color is underneath showing through the edges of your diligently laid colors, now all ruined.  So, use the pencil tool or the lasso tool and make you selections underneath the line art and fill in the colors half way under the edge your line art. You won't be sorry if you do.  For the above image I've already put down the flat colors I need; I start with very dark flats because I work from dark to light as I layer on my midtones and highlights.  That will be the next step...stay tuned! 

No comments: