Thursday, August 26, 2010

Art & Fear

Hey guys, I've been kinda busy with RECKLESS and since I can't show y'all anything yet; I'm trying not to leave the blog empty or alone. So, I thought I'd let you in on what I'm reading currently. I've actually read this book before, but I'm RE-reading it coz its just THAT GOOD!
ART & FEAR by David Bayles & Ted Orland is by far one of the most inspirational and informative books I've ever read! Its only 118 pages and yet this small book is such a SATISFYING read! What's it all about you ask? Well, in a nutshell:

"An artist's survival guide, written by and for working artists. The authors explore the way art gets made, the reasons it doesn't get made, and the nature of the difficulties that cause so many artists to give up along the way. This is a book about what it feels like to sit in your studio or classroom, at your wheel or keyboard, easel or camera, trying to do the work you need to do. It is about committing your future to your own hands, placing Free Will above predestination, choice above chance. It is about finding your own work."

Trust me when I say, if you are committed to pursuing your passion in art either professionally or even for personal reasons. You MUST read this book. It really helps you see past your excuses and get past your obstacles and helps you be the artist you want to be.

Here's an excerpt (one of my favorites):
"The sobering truth is that the disinterest of others hardly ever reflects a gulf in vision. In fact there's generally no good reason why others should care about most of any one artist's work. The function of the overwhelming majority of your artwork is simply to teach you how to make the small fraction of your artwork that soars. One of the basic and difficult lessons every artist must learn is that even the failed pieces are essential."

It sincerely made a big difference for me and improved the way I approach my art now. Go ahead and pick it up. It's a quick read, and I'll bet you'll be RE-reading it soon after you finish. Just click the link above. And enjoy!

No comments: